Official State of Rhode Island website

  • Change the visual color theme between light or dark modes
  • Adjust the font size from the system default to a larger size
  • Adjust the space between lines of text from the system default to a larger size
  • Adjust the space between words from the system default to a larger size
State of Rhode Island, Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission ,

Neutaconkanut Hill Park Nationally Listed

Published on Thursday, February 12, 2026

One of Providence’s largest and oldest public parks is listed

in the National Register of Historic Places

(Providence) Neutaconkanut Hill Park Historic District is Rhode Island’s newest entry in the National Register of Historic Places. Established in 1903 and expanded to its current dimensions by 1960, the 85-acre city park is located in Providence’s Silver Lake neighborhood along the Johnston line. Neutaconkanut is significant to the history of community planning and recreation in Providence.

Neutaconkanut Hill Park encompasses woodlands crisscrossed by trails, a scenic overlook, vestiges of 18th-20th century agricultural use, 1930s park infrastructure, and an expansive open area used for varied recreational activities since the early 20th century. Some of the more distinctive park features include farm ruins, a monument to the King family, and even the remnants of a 1970s-era Chevrolet Camero. At 296 feet above sea level, Neutaconkanut Hill is the highest point in Providence.

Neutaconkanut or “Notquonckanet” is mentioned in Narragansett Indian sachems Canonicus and Miantonomo’s 1637 deed of Providence to English settler Roger Williams. By the second half of the 17th century, much of the land comprising present-day Neutaconkanut Hill Park was owned by the Borden family. 

“As one of the city's oldest parks, Neutaconkanut Hill Park has been beloved by our community for generations and I'm thrilled to see it being recognized today in the National Register of Historic Places," said Mayor Brett P. Smiley. "Providence’s parks and greenspaces are vital to the health and well-being of our community and recognitions like this help us to further protect and preserve these important spaces in our community. My Administration will continue to invest in further renovations at Neutaconkanut Hill Park and parks across the city to make Providence's greenspaces more sustainable, resilient, and accessible for generations to come."

“For more than 100 years, ‘Neut,’ as it is affectionately called, has served its Silver Lake and Olneyville neighborhoods well—a place where community is nurtured,” said Robert McMahon, former Superintendent of the Providence Parks Department and longtime champion of the park. “Its placement in the National Register of Historic Places is a testimony to the vision and dedication of the late Elli Panichas, the founder of the Neutaconkanut Hill Conservancy.”

In the 1970s, Panichas, along with neighbors in Providence and Johnston, established an advocacy organization now known as the Neutaconkanut Hill Conservancy to breathe new life into “the Hill” and manage its longterm care and preservation. The Conservancy continues to collaborate with the Providence Parks Department, and the National Register listing of Neutaconkanut Hill Park Historic District is the culmination of this decades-long partnership. Panichas died at age 94 this past November.

“This designation is a lasting legacy for Providence and the many communities who have long loved and found belonging at Neutaconkanut Hill Park,” said current Providence Superintendent of Parks Wendy Nilsson. “The Hill is a vital community hub, and I am deeply grateful to Park Commissioner and Neutaconkanut Hill Conservancy Founder Elli Panichas for her leadership, generosity, and unwavering commitment to protecting and stewarding this special place for future generations. We also thank the Neutaconkanut Hill Conservancy for championing this effort and former Superintendent Bob McMahon for sharing his institutional knowledge to help bring it across the finish line.”

Providence’s earliest public spaces, such as Market Square and the Old State House parade, were primarily functional rather than recreational. But as the city’s population surged during the 19th century, local leaders began to recognize the value of green spaces for the health and enjoyment of city dwellers. 

In 1870, the City owned just 60 acres of parkland — some developed, like the Cove Promenade (1846), and some undeveloped, like the wooded Blackstone Park (1863). With the acquisition of Fields Point Farm and 102 acres that would become Roger Williams Park in the 1860s, plans began to coalesce around the creation of an expanded and connected municipal park system. Neutaconkanut Hill’s summit views, naturalistic setting, and proximity to the Olneyville and Silver Lake neighborhoods made it an obvious choice. The hill was already a recreational destination, with neighbors spending time on what was then private property. 

On November 6, 1903, the City purchased 31.55 acres of the William L. Smith estate for $32,500 and dedicated it for public park purposes. Government officials and park advocates envisioned NeutaconKanut Hill Park anchoring the western edge of an expanded park system. At the time, the Providence metro area was home to approximately 75% of Rhode Island’s population.

In 1908, the city hired the respected landscape architecture firm Olmsted Brothers to prepare an expansion plan for the park. The City followed this approach, annexing additional acreage and adding pathways, access roads, and other park amenities between 1910 and 1955. As new parcels were incorporated into Neutaconkanut Hill Park, the Parks Department heeded Olmsted Brothers’ recommendations – uplands were left rustic, while flatter areas were populated with ball fields and play areas for young children. Circle Drive drew visitors uphill to hear concerts at the Bandstand or to enjoy views of the city. 

Newspapers of the day reported that hundreds visited the park daily, with special celebrations and sporting events drawing crowds of thousands. Neutaconkanut Hill Park was the City’s second-largest park after Roger Williams Park, and likely the second most visited due to its location in a fast-growing neighborhood. 

During the Great Depression, Providence funded additional park improvements through a municipal public works program and the new federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Stone bleachers, a rain shelter, ski and toboggan slopes, and new trails were added during this period. Newspaper accounts indicate that the athletic fields at Neutaconkanut Hill Park were regularly used by schools, adult athletic leagues, and visitors in the 1930s-1950s. 

Today, Neutaconkanut Hill Park is one of 120 properties in the 1600-acre Providence Parks System and endures as a favorite breathing spot for the people of Providence and Johnston. The National Register nomination was prepared by the Public Archaeology Laboratory Inc. and Sarah Zurier, Principal Architectural Historian with the State Historic Preservation Office. 

###

Date